Monday, April 12, 2010

Significance: Spoon

The Shave is made up of 2 very important connoisseurs of all things Music - Shawn Pallier and David Bakker. You want proof?

Shawn likes Spoon.

Over the last few years, I've worked very hard to put Spoon on the map in Edmonton. I even went so far as harass a local radio station, Sonic 102.9 (oh, by the way, the "." is silent) into adding 2 of their songs into their playlist. Alas, the romance was short, but I did manage to get "The Underdog" and their cover of The Natural History's "Don't You Ever"(re-named "Don't You Evah") played on the modern rock station.

Now Spoon's "Transference" has been out for a little while, and Sonic wants to play like they've never heard of them before.

I can't really be surprised; it took the station a while to warm up to "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" in 2007... Heck, one time Rick Lee asked listeners to phone in with their favourite albums of 2007, and when I told him my choice of "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga", he said "Look, I've never heard of that", and hung up the phone... Sorry to bug you, man. Don't ask questions if you only want to hear "PARAMORE (omg omg omg)!!" or "THREE DAYS GRACE (I hate stuff and things too!)". Some listeners actually developed their own opinions about music.

Not that I'm bitter.

Spoon plays rock with razor precision. If you are a frequent listener, you'll notice they only play the notes they need to get their point across. Sometimes, they don't even get all the instruments in on the act, and that's the beauty of it. There's a simplistic, traditional feel to everything, and all the while they sound fresh and progressive... Almost contradictory, I know... but they evoke an understated atmosphere of cool, sounding like the soundtrack to a Quentin Tarantino Western. Has he made a western yet? Because Spoon would make a great soundtrack.

Comparisons to Nirvana are downright lazy and somewhat nonsensical, by the way.

So I challenge Sonic to play a track or two. Come on, even Starbucks thinks "The Mystery Zone" deserved to be a pick of the week. Starbucks, Sonic. You don't want to be outcooled by Starbucks, do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment